Mycorrhizae - yay or nay?

Moderator: RNGR Team

dlhaase

Mycorrhizae - yay or nay?

Postby dlhaase » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:07 pm

One grower has suggested that this forum be a good opportunity to review published articles. I'll start this off by mentioning this recent article on mycorrhizal inoculation though the topic is more broad than just this article. Over the years, I've run into both nursery growers and field folks who either swear by mycorrhizal application or don't see any benefit from it. This recent article: http://www.rngr.net/publications/tpn/58-2/inoculation-of-fumigated-nursery-beds-and-containers-with-arbuscular-mycorrhizal-products-for-eastern-redcedar-production found no effect. Other articles have mixed results. Thoughts? What is your preference for when/if to use it, how much to use, why to use it, and under which circumstances?

Southern

Re: Mycorrhizae - yay or nay?

Postby Southern » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:07 am

If I were a nursery managers, I would not want to spend $19,000 per ha for a product that does not work... Last year I visited a nursery that used an endomycorrhizal product on hardwood seedlings.... and the first thing I said was...it looks like you have an endomycorrhizal deficiency.

Southern

Re: Mycorrhizae - yay or nay?

Postby Southern » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:37 am

"In one study, there was no significant different in initial morphology of loblolly pine seedling but large difference in Pt infection (Hatchell and Marx, 1987). Even though 55% of the short roots were infected with Pt at time of outplanting, the growth of loblolly pine after 7 years was no different than seedlings infected only with Tt. Despite the fact the seedlings were planted on a deep sandy soil, the presence of Pt did not improve seedling growth. At a cost of $10/liter for inoculum and a seedbed density of 302/m2 , the cost of inoculum for this study was $26.80/thousand seedlings. Although the cost of artificial inoculation doubled the seedling cost,
there was no improvement in nursery growth and no improvement in field performance. "

The above information is found in the paper below...."CULTURAL ENHANCEMENT OF MYCORRHIZAL FUNGI ON SOUTHERN PINES?"

https://nurserycoop.auburn.edu/PDF%20fi ... 0fungi.pdf

Return to “New Publications and Technology”